W211 Need help with vibration? - Mercedes-Benz Forum : AMG Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W211 Need help with vibration?

Need help with diagnosis and will post in W211 too. My 2003 E500 started having a slight vibration when I start the car or have it sitting in Park or while sitting idle at a stoplight. It is more noticeable when I put the car in reverse while backing up slowly.

Once the car is moving the car has no vibration at all. Its not an internal vibration, meaning like an internal engine or transmission part. It feels more like a motor or transmission mount. Something that once there is torque on that part, the vibration goes away, but when sitting idle it causes the vibration.

Any ideas on the earlier W211s if transmission or motor mounts have a tendancy to crack. The other day I needed to hit the gas pretty hard from a start to get ahead of traffic and move over and when I did, I felt a clunk, kind of like what it may feel like if a motor or transmission mount were broken and that torque was causing that part of the car to move more.

Like I said, once driving, I feel nothing at high or low speeds and the car has not lost any power. Just trying to get an idea so I can direct my shop on where to look so they dont start in the trunk and work their way to the front tires for 4 hours of diagnosis?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 PM
First Base

Re: W211 Need help with vibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkancel
Need help with diagnosis and will post in W211 too. My 2003 E500 started having a slight vibration when I start the car or have it sitting in Park or while sitting idle at a stoplight. It is more noticeable when I put the car in reverse while backing up slowly.

Once the car is moving the car has no vibration at all. Its not an internal vibration, meaning like an internal engine or transmission part. It feels more like a motor or transmission mount. Something that once there is torque on that part, the vibration goes away, but when sitting idle it causes the vibration.

Any ideas on the earlier W211s if transmission or motor mounts have a tendancy to crack. The other day I needed to hit the gas pretty hard from a start to get ahead of traffic and move over and when I did, I felt a clunk, kind of like what it may feel like if a motor or transmission mount were broken and that torque was causing that part of the car to move more.

Like I said, once driving, I feel nothing at high or low speeds and the car has not lost any power. Just trying to get an idea so I can direct my shop on where to look so they dont start in the trunk and work their way to the front tires for 4 hours of diagnosis?
anyway bring it to MB dealer to check the transmission and Motor mount maybe there is a crack on the mount. I have the same problem too before and the dealer change the transmission mount and it works great now. Anyway good luck.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks much, I plan to take it in, but wanted to see how many have had a similar problem and if most seemed to be transmission or motor mount. Now I can look at the transmission mount myself and see if I can see anything.

Anyone else?

#4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 PM
First Base

Quote:
Thanks much, I plan to take it in, but wanted to see how many have had a similar problem and if most seemed to be transmission or motor mount. Now I can look at the transmission mount myself and see if I can see anything.

Anyone else?
you are very welcome.

#5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM

the motor and trans mount are very common problems. i sell them all the time

2008 ARTIC WHITE E350 AMG SPORT PACKAGE | P2 | black carbon fiber trim | H&R springs | 19's hre 843rs brush/chrome lip for sale
#6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:52 PM

(Thread Starter)
The mounts themselves are not so expensive, but any ideas as to range of pricing -to replace Trans Mounts or Motor Mounts

#7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
TOW Deletion Advocate

Send a message via AIM to Goliath27
They replaced mine under warranty but no Idea how much they were, I Assume that would be the problem from what you described. Mine had a Vibration between 70-80mph.

still does it thou.... just not as much

ALi

"rk6400 (7:29:06 PM): what can go wrong"
#8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM
First Base

Quote:
The mounts themselves are not so expensive, but any ideas as to range of pricing -to replace Trans Mounts or Motor Mounts
If you are looking to change the motor mount itself is about $700 in the dealer. But for the transmission mount should be much cheaper. Because it is easier to install. Anyway let me know, if you need anything else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page