LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E430 Transmission problem???

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been asked. Anyways, my parent's '02 E430 has been acting weird lately. When I shift the car into reverse or drive, the car jerks. When I drive around, it seems like the car won't shift up since I'm hitting 4000rpm and am only going 40mph. When I tried switching to the triptonic shift mode thing, the car refused to do anything, and the display still says that I'm on D and not what gear I'm on. This seems to happen on and off since the dealership didn't see any problems when my mom brought it to them. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Oh also the check engine light just came on. The car only has 48,000 miles... Is this a common problem?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Addict

Send a message via AIM to Proven Guilty Send a message via MSN to Proven Guilty Send a message via Yahoo to Proven Guilty
Stop driving it immediately and take it on a flatbed to an indy shop to look at it. Sometimes wonky transmission problems can be very inexpensive repairs, that if neglected will lunch the entire thing.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Broken in!

could be a couple things..
get the electrical plug checked for the transmission, it could be leaking transmission fluid, (which you will have low fluid in the trans) and the fluid then migrates up the harness and to the transmission control unit. it can cause weird things to happen. replace the electrical plug at the transmission (about $20 for the electrical connector) and use brake clean to clean the harness out as best as you can, also check the control unit for fluid contamination, if there is, open the control unit and clean off the circuit board with brake clean.
another possibility is that the conductor plate needs to be replaced (possible speed sensor codes in the ETC, transmission control unit). 2 very common things.. on the more expensive side it could be a valve body or the transmission itself. but I'm leaning towards the first 2 things.

*1999 C230 Kompressor- aka C23T
-Custom turbo manifold, Garrett GT2868R, Tial wastegate and BOV, Custom liquid to air intercooler, 68mm M112 Throttle body, KW Variant2 suspension, AMG 6 pot and 4 pot Brakes, Wiechers braces, C36 rear, Brabus front, SL55 Multispoke 18" AMG's.
*2002 E320 4Matic*
-Slammed on 17" AMG's for now, custom suspension in the works, new wheels in the works, possible engine swap in the future.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 AM

(Thread Starter)
Ok. Thanks for the tips.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Thank you for the*informative*posts.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:03 AM