W211 Vibration problem? - Mercedes-Benz Forum : AMG Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default W211 Vibration problem?

Need help with diagnosis and will post in W211 too. My 2003 E500 started having a slight vibration when I start the car or have it sitting in Park or while sitting idle at a stoplight. It is more noticeable when I put the car in reverse while backing up slowly.

Once the car is moving the car has no vibration at all. Its not an internal vibration, meaning like an internal engine or transmission part. It feels more like a motor or transmission mount. Something that once there is torque on that part, the vibration goes away, but when sitting idle it causes the vibration.

Any ideas on the earlier W211s if transmission or motor mounts have a tendancy to crack. The other day I needed to hit the gas pretty hard from a start to get ahead of traffic and move over and when I did, I felt a clunk, kind of like what it may feel like if a motor or transmission mount were broken and that torque was causing that part of the car to move more.

Like I said, once driving, I feel nothing at high or low speeds and the car has not lost any power. Just trying to get an idea so I can direct my shop on where to look so they dont start in the trunk and work their way to the front tires for 4 hours of diagnosis?

Thanks much

Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
First Base

it does sound like motor and/or trans mounts. it is pretty normal for them to go bad depending on mileage, weather, driving characteristics, etc... however it may also be a slight misfire. spark plug wires are very common but there are several other things that may cause the same symptoms. honestly the best bet is to get it checked out and expect 1-2hr diagnosis. anything more than that is excessive.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
First Base

Let me know if u need some help diagnosing.......
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks much, good to know the motor or trans mount is relatively common. Its not a misfire or engine idle but based on how I described, you are very right it could be. This is a vibration coming from the seats, floor board area and I dont feel anything coming from the gas pedal or anything that would typically be related to engine.

I have to get brakes all around and just ordered everything so good timing to get them put on and have this work done too.