2008 S65 vs 2011 S63 - which should I buy? - Mercedes-Benz Forum : AMG Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2008 S65 vs 2011 S63 - which should I buy?

I'm looking into buying a w221 s-class amg soon and can't decide between a 2008/2009 S65 and a 2011/2012 S63. I have researched both in depth and have different reasons to buy either one.

The S65 obviously has the amazing and rare 6.0 turbo v12 that i think is probably one of the best sounding engines ever. Also, after reading reviews I've heard that since it's based off the S600 rather than the S550, it has higher quality interior compared to the S63 as well as the amazing diamond stitching (only after M.Y. 2007 and the biggest reason i would buy the 65). The downfall is that it has the slow 5 speed gearbox and the exterior styling is not updated like the 2010 and on's.

The S63 on the other hand has the fancy new and very fast 7 speed mct transmission that i would constantly be using in manual mode because of it's abilities (this is the main reason i would by the S63). The new 5.5 biturbo v8 can also be ecu flashed to be even more powerful than than m275 65 engine. Also it has the updated exterior styling with the much cooler head and tail lights and the new more aggressive fog lights. The problem is that it doesn't have the diamond stitched and higher quality interior. I've also heard that the new mct transmission is not that smooth around town.

I've not driven either so I am really looking for some advice from people who have driven both the S65 and The 5.5l (not the 6.3l) S63.
I'm looking for each with around 20,000 to 35,000 miles and planning on spending around 80 grand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page