truth about Smartuki - Mercedes-Benz Forum : AMG Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
truth about Smartuki

First I want everyone to know Paul the owner is a great guy and try to help but I just don't get it... I don't think they understand that this Kit is a waste and very poor quality - I have had nothing but problems sense day one and I mean day one - here is a list of pictures of this kit, I was told by Smartuki at one point you know this is a kit right??? well here are a few of the problems I have faced and continue to face - I have enough money to buy 4 US spec Smarts (maybe even 6) for what I have put into this conversion. So I will just continue to laugh when I hear everyone say they are gonna do this swap and laugh even more when Smartuki tell me no one else has had problems...
you make your choice
I will comment on the top of each picture... I will start from the beginning
The supplied bolts did not fit though the sub-frame into the original Smart Frame - I had to use a drill and open the Smartuki sub-frame holes to make this fit (yes it is a kit)

but the stock didn't work either (yes it is a kit)

Here is where the A-Arm connect to the sub-frame Had to make spacers, Smartuki only supplies washer. please add as many washer as you need too for proper fitting
(yes it is a kit)

the hub does not fit into the disc brake, I was asked to machine it to fit - I ask Smartuki to send a new one that fit the disc brake and also had holes for a three lug not a four lug (yes it is a kit)

The bearing has huge amount of play I will go out and find my own (yes it is a kit)

well first off this has been a nightmare, not only did the nut not fit the axel, but the axels are left threaded - 21.5 super/super fine left thread this nut does not exist within the US that took 1 1/2 months to get from Smartuki alone (yes it is a kit)

Mounting holes on the A-Arm for the brake caliper don't match the bracket, we cut the bracket and re-welded (yes it is a kit)

The jackshaft is larger than the jackshaft bearing - BTW the jackshaft has about 18-20k movement while spinning (I do have a .mov if you don't believe) (yes it is a kit)

The rose joints are wider than the hardware supplied, not good when it comes to holding the A-Arm (yes it is a kit)

Here is the breather replacement cover the green is supplied by Smartuki, the hole is too small to even blow though... so we made a new one (the top is stock) (yes it is a kit)

the motor mounts washers supplied we made spacers (yes it is a kit)

Here is a splitter for the brake line, the car has two lines why would you split? (yes it is a kit)

Well sense we already re-welded the tab for the bracket to fit we should have should have check to see if it was centered properly (nope re-weld) (yes it is a kit)

forgot to mention that the drive shaft cup was not welded on the A-Arm straight so we had to get a new A-Arm after welding the tabs two time not knowing the real problem (yes it is a kit)

Where the cable bracket was on the kit hit the sub-frame so we had to re-weld (yes it is a kit)

again the jackshaft bearing, the mounting hole do not match and the space plate was to small I was told add washers LOL! (yes it is a kit)

Well I have to stop, because I have about 60 more pics but I would chalk those ones up to being a kit "really" but this last pic has been another nightmare - and the final straw which cause me to sit here and show everyone on SCOA the truth about Smartuki - you decide - I am not talking bad but pics tell the truth of build quality. We have remade every single part that was not up to par, we even added many things and remade parts to ensure things would not break - but some thing you have to try and depend on like drive shafts... I broke a shaft the first day we test drove (pulling out of the driveway slowly) , I then asked Smartuki to send a new one while I was having a well known drive shaft company build one. They sent me another shaft, the first shaft that broke used a nut from a Honda the new one was like the other side left thread nut so I waited 4 weeks for Smartuki to send another left threaded nut - the friday the nut showed up we quickly installed the shaft nut and put the car on back of a tow truck - so it would make it to a local car show - after the car show pulling it back onto the tow truck the new Smartuki axel broke at the knuckle end - Well after and additional 45 day of waiting for my custom shaft which got here this last friday we put it on today and the other side Smartuki Shaft broke and guess while pulling out of the driveway... This is just for all who care... sorry for the poor grammar and spelling as I am writing this fast becasue I am done with this Smart Car - I will have the guy rebuild a hi quality shaft for the other side and put this car up for sale or park it with a cover on it...

Remember this is a kit - to me a kit is: something you put in with small amounts of modifications... I was told this kit could be installed in my garage with a friend to help lift and hold things - I choose to send this to a friends shop because I had to fly out of state for business and I was impatient - thinking it could be done within a week or two...

I have been told by Smartuki that none of there other customes have had any of these problems....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 CLS55
08 G55

05 T-Rex (Turbo)(NOS)
05 Smart forTwo GSXR 1000 Turbo Soon
1995 RVF 400 (CA Plated)
07 GSXR600
"Let Me Be Thankful For The Twist And Turns That Make Each Day Full Of Adventure"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
just wanted everyone to know where I have been........ I posted this on SCOA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 CLS55
08 G55

05 T-Rex (Turbo)(NOS)
1995 RVF 400 (CA Plated)
07 GSXR600
"Let Me Be Thankful For The Twist And Turns That Make Each Day Full Of Adventure"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Broken in!

Thanks for sharing with the community. Not sure if you remember me, but I spoke with you on the phone a couple months back about the conversion. Thanks to your honesty, I decided against the Smartuki conversion. I'm now looking into a car engine conversion - taking this slowly though to make sure it can be done right and with minimal problems.

Best of luck with the rest of your "project"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I just hear people every day say I'm gonna... well after braking another drive shaft that was poorly constructed by Smartuki I thought...- I have to stop these people from saying I'm gonna - I don't regret this build but I am lucky to have the funds at this time in my life to pay for this useless shyt - I could only imagine a kid saving for this or buying it and getting into deep

06 CLS55
08 G55

05 T-Rex (Turbo)(NOS)
1995 RVF 400 (CA Plated)
07 GSXR600
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Broken in!

That's very nice of you

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:48 AM
p0st wh0r3

Sorry to hear about all of the problems you have been having. It really disappoints that they are selling such a poor quality kit with an obvious lack of R&D.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 AM
TOW Deletion Advocate

Thanks for the heads up... My cousin was actually planning on doing this because of your other post.... (it looked promising)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:11 PM
TOW Deletion Advocate

Send a message via AIM to Goliath27
**** bro. Sorry to hear about all the trouble and frustration this shits caused you. I hope you get this thing done with, We have ALL been anticipating this cars finished status, now we just have to hope it gets there and with you a little happier

ALi

"rk6400 (7:29:06 PM): what can go wrong"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page