Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to do it for one weekend. Is it dangerous driving around with very low backpressure? Is it even possible (I will have to see if I can remove the section connected to the headers)?

I want to scare children. Tehe. :D

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I don't know what you mean by open. You can run em dumped, but it would take some modification to the front end. First, you'd need to make downpipes and "dump" the fumes. Also, you'd need to remove the belly pan, etc and make sure that placing 4 fire hoses on each side wouldn't melt the hell out of something down there. Now having back pressure is less of an issue as is logistics of where the exhaust flames will need to go.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Open headers - essentially running the car only with headers and no exhaust system at all. I know it could be done on a lot of other cars (i.e. domestics and imports, just remove the exhaust and bypass O2 if need be).

There's no point to it, other than fun. It significantly decreases performance. There will be no exhaust flames if you keep the rpms low (wouldn't want to go high with open headers anyways, god knows you would damage the motor and a few passerby's eardrums).

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
The exhaust will not shoot out any flames. Where do the stock headers dump out? If MB's have shorty headers, it might not be such a good idea.

My friend tried it for 10 mins on a C320 and it sounded like a monster, but it was in no way for an extended time.

It's probably a better idea for you to get cutouts. If you don't want to spend the $400 for the electrics, get the manual set from Summit Racing for $70 a pair. $50 to install and for $120 you can have your fun regularly. It's just three screws and a reusable gasket so you can open/close them anytime, and not be scared of exhaust leaks either.

For the ultimate peace of mind, just pop them in after the cats. I know that will quiet it down some, but you won't have any issues with the rear O2 sensors. I don't know about the MB, but on my Buick with that same setup, I couldn't hear people shouting at me at stoplights at idle.

It'll be the most fun you'll ever have with that car, for sure :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts