Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the works of getting a set of E55 headers done. Im tired of the inflated prices we're paying for things.

The place Im going to actually did the intital R&D for Evosport's header, and the ones they sell now are actually a copy of his design.

www.jpperformancellc.com

He's actually pointed out a flaw in the evosport headers. The 3rd tube is actually much shorter than the others, so its not really an equal length header. Im hoping to get a set done and hopefully if others are interested, get a few more at a much cheaper price than evo.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
ME! Let me know.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Jeff, is it cool that I "advertise" this here? I know Id get my ass banned at mbworld if I posted it up there.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
chukiechz said:
Oh Jeff, is it cool that I "advertise" this here? I know Id get my ass banned at mbworld if I posted it up there.
No objection here. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Don't trip Charles. You're fine. :thumbup:

I see your post being more informative than advertisement.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I'm still in. We need to get a pic and some $$ values so we can get enough buy in. I also want to be sure that we don't interfere with any agreements that they had with EVO.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pics wont be available until it gets started, but I told him the price needs to be much less than evo to make it worth it. He also stated he would never use mild steel (which evo uses) for our cars.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Just curious, are the headers for the E55's coated at all? If not, you guys should look at ceramic coating, since it really lowers the underhood temps a good bit. It's not cheap either...cost me about $70 to have a pair coated on another car.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I would even consider a price point between the RennTech ones and the EVO ones, IF they have many advancements? I've talked to a few others about specing out a nice shorty header. EVO's price isn't the problem, it is the overall quality.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it'll definitely be better quality. Check out the C32 header that he designed for evo. All 6 tubes are equal length. Im sure the 55 header will be similar.

He's got the first CARB approved E36 BMW header, so his stuff is top notch. Makes more power, and less smog than stock

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Straight bolt ups, so the wizard can do his thing.

Yo R: Think we may want to couple the Carb legal BMW part with the VFs?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Im interested and will get in on the buy.I am in the process of having a set made up myself,so if this does take place I can put my project on hold.

Whats the time frame here?
When will you have more info?
Does he need a car for mock up or does he have a jig already made up?

John

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
We need to get better organized on this and decide who we want to go with and throw some stats at them. Charles contacted me a while back about these that he is posting here and as he said, they already have a history with the MBs. Last thing I liked is that they do great work. I only want to be affiliated with such vendors, if we are going to outsource, since Quality Control will be in the least of our control. I figure get a relationship with the best in each area and them grow it. A difference of a couple hundred per set won't matter as much to me as the details.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im going to call him tomorrow and talk to him some more. I will tell him we have at least 5 interested and hopefully more as this takes shape. It should definitely be a direct bolt on.

I will probably let him use my car to mock up the headers. I work from home, so I wont be at much of a loss.

I dont know about time frame, i know he has a lot of projects going on, so I hope I can convince him to give us some importance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Get all the info you can.Yes they need to be a true bolt on,just like the Evo's are.Also ask about what materials he wants to use.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I can get 10 together, assuming we LOVE them. I'll foot the money for the extras or find people interested. A quick Dyno study would be nice, too.

Charles: get your info and options. I'm finding that time is the most critical factor in getting these vendors right. I hope we can show them we are serious with only 10 or so sales. Last thing, if you could find out where their interest lies. Do they simply want to make us however many sets and be done or do they want to add to their product base?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He definitely wants to add to his product base. I asked him about a minimum number he would need to get this project rolling, and he told me there wasnt really a number. He's sold over 500 sets of solara headers, and he didnt even think that would happen (I dont even see any on the roads). So all it really takes is one sale.

I will call tomorrow. I assume he'll use the 304 stainless, since he's used that on the rest of the headers with a coating. I brought up the point that brad made on the other site about stainless cracking, and he said it cracked because of poor welds. He does the headers for the Turner race cars, so if they can withstand the heat they put out, Im sure they'll hold up to road use.

A before and after dyno is a given

any other specific questions?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts