Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a set of the new designed EVOSport rotors. $2K for a full set is not a bad price. I plan to track the beast, so that will tell jsut how good they are. I'm dying to test out the porterfield pads and new rotors, so help me decide.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
porterfield finally came out with something for our car?!?!? nice!!!

+2 on how they compare to the evo stuff...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify, Porterfield makes PADS for our car. they were working with me to develope rotors (through Coleman), but we hit a snag with the integrated rear E brake. It uses the hat. If you go aluminum hat, that can be an issue. EVO basically adds a steel sleeve in there. oddly enough, Poerterfield turned me onto Girodisc, who happens to be the one that developed both series of EVOSport rotors. The guy (Martin) was willing to sell me the hats, but said the new rotors were "owned" by EVO. He would sell me the old ones, though. I didn't go that route, because i don't like to do business that way.
I've been trying to develop my own rotors for almost 2 years now. Brembo MAY have a set that fits the OEM calipers, so I will give them a last shot. If that doesn't work, I will need to sell out to some tuner and EVO has the best bang for the buck in that arena.
I am supposed to contact Simon about potential GB prices, etc. It has to benefit them and us, so we'll see.

Exit: yes, I will likely get the EVO rotors. I may do some cryo treating, etc or even pay them to allow me to work with Girodisc to make a set of track quality rotors. I also want to see if EVO will OEM me the rotors, which basically means letting me re-brand them and sell to non-evo customers.

I need rotors at a minimum. I would love bigger ones, but I'm not going to go with 19" rims, so it looks like 14s is it for now. The OEM brakes are actually strong, but i want some weight savings and better heat dissipation.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I returned the E63 front rotors, because the weight savings was less than 5lbs per, so I didn't see the advantage. I've also looked into having custom ones made up, but the price on just a few sets would still not compete with EVOsport's set for $2000. At this point, I am considering paying extra for the RennTech ones (if I go full RT) or getting the EVO rotors and see how they hold up. If all goes well, then that's it. If not, I'll go back and get the customs done.

Right now, I am more focused on things that are not being done. Most specifically handling. The concept is to strip weight and add strength and adjustability into as much of the suspension as possible.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
group buy FTW... :)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would be into a GB on the EVO set. I'd like to get enough people to get the price down to $1500.

·
Registered
11 Posts
jangy said:
I returned the E63 front rotors, because the weight savings was less than 5lbs per, so I didn't see the advantage. I've also looked into having custom ones made up, but the price on just a few sets would still not compete with EVOsport's set for $2000. At this point, I am considering paying extra for the RennTech ones (if I go full RT) or getting the EVO rotors and see how they hold up. If all goes well, then that's it. If not, I'll go back and get the customs done.

Right now, I am more focused on things that are not being done. Most specifically handling. The concept is to strip weight and add strength and adjustability into as much of the suspension as possible.
So you never found a compatible set of brembo rotors?

I did a little checking around but came up empty. Couldn't find anything with a wide enough pad surface (annulus).

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
None of the Brembo rotors matched up. I even was willing to get my own hats, but the rotors were a no go. They have them in the lower quality rotors, but not the nice ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
jangy said:
None of the Brembo rotors matched up. I even was willing to get my own hats, but the rotors were a no go. They have them in the lower quality rotors, but not the nice ones.
Well this is strictly for the street so these "lower" quality units might be fine for my purposes.

Do you remember who has them? Is there a website or do you have the link?

Thanks!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Jangy,

Stoptech just made a 2 piece rotor set up for the wrx sti that shaves a decent amount of weight of each rotor. I can hit em up and see if they may be interested in doing something similar for the E55 crowd if you want.

Just an idea..

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Havoc said:
jangy said:
Well this is strictly for the street so these "lower" quality units might be fine for my purposes.

Do you remember who has them? Is there a website or do you have the link?

Thanks!
That was direct from Brembo. Another to try if you just want rotors is Coleman. Also, if you are just looking for replacement rotors and don't want performance, Benz-O-Rama found a place that has low quality cross drilled ones much cheaper than OEM. I am after something that will help with weight and heat dissipation. I want treated, cross drilled, slotted, etc. the whole shebang!!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GROUP5MOTORSPORT said:
Jangy,

Stoptech just made a 2 piece rotor set up for the wrx sti that shaves a decent amount of weight of each rotor. I can hit em up and see if they may be interested in doing something similar for the E55 crowd if you want.

Just an idea..
Dude, that would be hit. Your only competition is the EVOSport (generation IIs), which are made by Girodisc. Other than that, everything else is either way too expensive or way too shitty. I even have a spare front and rear rotor that I'm willing to throw in for development.
I've been planning on having rotors as part of a performance upgrade for the E55, but liability on brakes is just too much so I prefer to source them instead.

Now, if Len would just start focussing on the W211, we could kick out all kinds of suspension components to go along with the better braking!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I thought you asked Stoptech already jangy? that was one of my original suggestions as far as getting some custom rotors.

Their aero rotors are top notch. Had the 4 wheel BBK and the rotors were cool to touch after casual driving.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chukiechz said:
I thought you asked Stoptech already jangy? that was one of my original suggestions as far as getting some custom rotors.

Their aero rotors are top notch. Had the 4 wheel BBK and the rotors were cool to touch after casual driving.
I did, but sometimes my approach isn't taken so well :rofl:

·
Registered
930 Posts
jangy said:
chukiechz said:

I did, but sometimes my approach isn't taken so well :rofl:
Alittle on the brash side maybe? LOL

I asked Stoptech a few months back if they would ever make rotors for our cars,straight up...NO..and he didnt even hessitate 1 second to give me the answer.Hopefully they will change their minds.

GB on Evo's stuff sounds good,but do you think they will go for it.I had heard the first one took forever to get the parts out?

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Hopefully with more people asking they'll realize maybe there is a market for the E55. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Girodisc is making the parts, so we can find out from Martin. Also, I think we can get them for about $1500 - $1600, which ain't bad. I think EVO would go for it. Our crew is screwy, but we like to by goodies and they know that.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts