Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my repair my pc and get the damn thing running, but it just doesn't want to cooperate.

When I turn it on, I get a blue screen saying "Unmountable_Boot_Volume"
So I loaded the XP cd I have, and let it try to repair itself. It gets to the part where it says "Loading Boot Volume" and freezes up.
So I tried again and tried to repair XP manually, but then it takes me to a DOS C: and just sits there.

WTF do I do to this stupid thing to get it working?

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Brett is probably right.

Boot into the command console from CD or use something like ERD Commander to do the following: chkdsk /f

If that doesn't work then you might be SOL. Slave it to another computer to see if you can salvage any data off of it.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't care for the info on it, because I had everything I wanted on my external anyway. I'm just trying to salvage the pc itself, since that's my dedicated music download center :clap:

Do I just reinstall XP off the bat?

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Might as well if there is nothing of importance on it. That's assuming the install doesn't hang part way through. If it does your hard drive is toast.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
What brand?

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this one's a Seagate if I'm not mistaken.

I worked it hard for the past 2 years though (just like everything else I get my hands on) :D

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
If it's hosed, check to see if it has a 5 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
So is it out to lunch for good?

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think so. It doesn't want to reboot from the disc, and doesn't let me reformat either. My friend is a programmer and he's gonna take a shot at it tomorrow. He said something about being able to force it because it sounds like the pin isn't broken :hmm:

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
So if you delete and recreate the partition in Windows Setup it won't format?

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dunno. I messed with it and lost patience. Turned it off and called a friend. I love tech things IF they work. When they don't, I kick them aside :wack:

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
LOL! At least they don't go straight to the trash.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hehe. If my HD didn't have so much stuff on there in the past, I'd consider it. But if it got into some capable hands, they'd be busy for a looooong while :rofl:

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HD is roasted. I'll probably just toss in an old one just to get it running, since the only thing I use it for is for downloads to an external HD.

Stupid thing won't even format itself :dunno:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts