Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after I added the Magnaflow muffler to the ML, I decided the next step was to custom make myself an intake for better flow. I still need to go and get a tube to extend the piping but I will get to that a bit later. Here we go!

As you can see here, the W163 comes with a pretty restictive airbox.

The airbox has about 10 clips connecting it to the Mass Airflow Sensor, so the first step is to unclip those.

Once you unclip those, the top of the airbox should come right off and this is what you'll see.

The next step is removing the crap paper filter that comes with it. The red cone filter is what will be replacing it.

Take the red cone filter and bolt it up to the MAF, screw down the clamp, and this is the end result!

The initial repsonse is quite noticable. The car definately has better throttle response and feels a bit torquier. The top end pull feels a bit improved as well. Most of all the intake sounds badass mated with the new exhaust system! This shouldent take more than 10 minutes to accomplish.

Ill be making a couple more modifications to the intake system, so ill make sure to keep this thread updated.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Looks good! I bet you're sucking in lots of hot air though. I tried a similar setup once and had to make a cold air box for it asap.

:clap: for modding it in the 1st place :D

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roupin said:
Looks good! I bet you're sucking in lots of hot air though. I tried a similar setup once and had to make a cold air box for it asap.

:clap: for modding it in the 1st place :D
I plan on removing the bottom portion of the stock airbox and extending the intake to the lower portion of where the airbox sits. I also plan on fabbing a heatshiled as well :D

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Most importantly the pics are from his new Canon SD1000. :clap:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SDSilverM3 said:
Most importantly the pics are from his new Canon SD1000. :clap:
I took a visit to Corvette Mike's and took about 75 pics over there, ill post them up in the showroom :D

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
newton said:
Bravo arya! Drive around without the hood, you'll make lotsa power. :D
LOL! My friend gave me the idea of making a snorkel for the ML but I think my dad would hang me by my balls if I cut through the fender :rofl:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made some changes to the intake today. Bought an Intake coupler and a 4" Aluminum pipe. Here is what it looks like now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Try making a chamber that totally seals off the air filter from the engine bay air. Make it out of a duct tape and cardboard first. Then, get some aluminum sheet and make a nice, purdy one.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lensolo said:
Try making a chamber that totally seals off the air filter from the engine bay air. Make it out of a duct tape and cardboard first. Then, get some aluminum sheet and make a nice, purdy one.
yeah, i forgot the mention that im still trying to design a nice and functional heat shield. The cardboard idea is brilliant :clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts