My MB Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When are we open to recruiting members over form lala land.org? Can I start "advertising" the site yet or do we want to work out some kinks first?

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Arjang, not yet. I only invited a few that we know and some of my friends that are constantly on forums to help out with some of the development part. We need to get some some essential things up then give the server to Jeff. Once that takes place you can start advertising.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
jangy said:
Got it. Is that when we become mbonline.com?
That's what we're shooting for. I invited the initial group to help out with testing to make sure things work bug-free. By the end of the month I hope to have the essentials completed and then turn over the machine to Jeff for some real action. :smt038

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Quick reply is all I ever use. :)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new concept for sponsors. Let me and a small band take all of it. We pay you what you think you would get from all sponsors and I pay it. I'll leave the opportunity to post prices, services open to ALL. We basically do not become tied into our advertising, but into our population. Why not have open discussions on pricing and Group buys? I have nothing to hide.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Arjang, please elaborate more on it. I'm not quite grasping the concept from your previous post.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically, I am offering to be your one and only sponsor. I will pay to upkeep the forum and the success of the forum and my business will go hand in hand. As an added twist, we open the forum up to ANYONE that wants to advertise and setup group buys. It basically makes it an open forum to price, service. We no longer have to depend on sponsor buyin to grow. They need US. Our power is in having so many people in one spot. We prefer everyone to get a great deal, not just a few of us, so why not open it up?
I have no issues with Creative and Group 5 getting on here and throwing their pitch. If in the end, they have a better product at a better price than I can offer, then we go with them. I only intend to carry things that do not cross with them anyway, so i do not see either as competition.
Only catch becomes what is a fair price. I can either work you a deal based on volume you carry or literally give you a piece of the action.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Arjang, I would like to keep the structure in place. What we can do is make our group, you and Roger included, premier/top level sponsors so there would be nothing wrong with you guys organizing group buys or posting pricing info.

If we abandon the structured strategy with sponsored forums it'll become somewhat disorganized and a target for scammers. The MB community would be easy targets since most will pay in cash and upfront without much questioning. The current structure and policy restricts general strangers from posting Group Buys and helps us differentiate legit vs scam.

I've seen that type of stuff happen all too often on Import sites and turns into a big mess for the members along with the site itself. We need some sort of structure in place to prevent that from happening.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Arjang, I moved the thread into the SD Crew forum. I don't think the other mods need to see this. :)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The word is spreading. i got a few emails today from sponsors asking what is up. Adam will be over in a bit to take a look.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Awesome bro!

We're going to start the sponsorship thing at the beginning of April. We need to let it go for a month and see how membership growth goes.

I'll also be going around asking other people if they're interested.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
I think all that is fine. Once everything starts falling into place we might have to tighten down the screws a little but nothing extreme. Just enough so that people don't get butt hurt over competition.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
I'm not sure one is necessary but you're right. Fusion isn't so great for that. Can't hear shit!

We've pretty much already decided to go with the current structure and if sponsors come on board great. If not, no biggie. The forum is for us and not really about them. It'll be great to have them on board because you'd have their full support and it'd be great for spreading the word.

The money that comes from it will go towards future server hardware upgrades and maybe throwing meets/other fun stuff if it ever gets to that level.

Jeff was kind enough to allocate resources for this site so costs are minimal but I'm hoping it'll get to a point where the site should be able to cover those costs as well so it can be fully independent.

·
Registered
0 Posts
SDSilverM3 said:
I'm not sure one is necessary but you're right. Fusion isn't so great for that. Can't hear shit!

We've pretty much already decided to go with the current structure and if sponsors come on board great. If not, no biggie. The forum is for us and not really about them. It'll be great to have them on board because you'd have their full support and it'd be great for spreading the word.

The money that comes from it will go towards future server hardware upgrades and maybe throwing meets/other fun stuff if it ever gets to that level.

Jeff was kind enough to allocate resources for this site so costs are minimal but I'm hoping it'll get to a point where the site should be able to cover those costs as well so it can be fully independent.
That sounds good. Communication IS the key!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd say Ling and I are thinking along the same lines. I think a meeting of the minds is in order. Just so that those on the forum side can Q&A with those on the mod (business) side. In the end, none of us are here to "profit", but we would all like to have the chance to expand ourselves. The same concept that Ling said about putting the money BACK into the community pot is exactly how R and I have been basing the business. It isn't about making money. It is all about having a haven that is ours. It may be on the net or at the local shop, but it will always be OURS. No negotiations, no compromise. Just hooking eachother up and using eachothers contacts for the better of all. As it is, we have a good group, each with his own skill sets that we can use for our benefit. There are a few details to be worked out so that no particular member gets abused. Prime examples are the support that the forum takes and the costs associated with the shop (including supplies and labor). Each side will take some investment, but I do believe that we can be self sustaining before long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts