Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dropped off the manifolds today at the cnc place to get the flanges done.

Jose has got some ideas and will probably make several sets to see which works the best. He's probably going to make a stepped header where it starts at 1 5/8" and then steps up to 1 3/4". He'll also make the "regular" 1 5/8" diameter. Unless we all want to go with 1 3/4".

I mentioned to him that I read Vadim posted there was no way to make an equal length header and keep the stock cat position. He said that Vadim said the same thing about his C32, and he was able to do one. So lets keep our fingers crossed he can get them equal length

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Best of luck...hope everything werks out!!!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
My only worry is getting all that twisted metal to squeeze in the bay. There just isn't much room in there. How does Jose know how much room he has? I don't need the headers rubbing on the wall. Having equal length pipes will be an added benefit. I also hope to get mine coated before install.
Can you post the final design parameters you set? Materials, design, etc?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats why he'll have my car for a bit to see how much room there is.

the flanges will be mild steel, tubes will be stainless (I think 304) and all will be coated. Nothing is set in stone. The only thing that is set is that it needs to gain power and torque, and be a complete bolt on.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jrocket said:
Stepped header sounds good.Any time fram for the first set out?
not sure exactly. since he wants to test several different designs out, it might take some time to see what works best. Hopefully no more than 2 months tops. Thats probably worse case scenario, I know he wants them done asap, and he knows we're all waiting. Once the shape is done, Im sure everything else is downhill

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I agree with Charles. Also, that isn't too much time in the grans scheme of things. I'll wait and get it done right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just recently discovered this Board, so I missed this whole header thread thing, which is funny since I am currently working with fabrication shop for a set of equal length, bolt-in to the stock exhaust shorty headers. I expect to have a prototype for test fitment within the next couple of weeks. The shop is using a little bit more high tech approach that will involve some CAD CAM work to finalize the initial design. Yep, they've done some header work with some big time race teams and know their stuff. Can't wait to see the initial prototype. Being the guinea pig for our own design means I'll probably get to R&R my car's exhaust two or three times.

We've already identified the pitiful design of the factory manifolds. The exhaust port inputs on the stock manifolds are only 1.375 inches ID, while the engine port ODs are about 1.73". Outlet size is about 1.675 ID on the manifold. Overall the stock manifold system is very compact but is severely constricting the flow. If we can design them to fit, we will use equal length 1.75" primaries in order to match the engine ports. Should really allow the engine to breathe.

We plan to use 321 stainless and for now, these will be a one off set unless we're totally satisfied with the final design, fitment and HP gain parameters. Not trying to undermine or steal anyone's thunder, but I think we're all pretty much in agreement that a better design than either the RennTech (for sure) and the Evo's is possible (and desireable). If we meet our design goals, I'm sure the fabricator will be willing to produce at batch. I have no idea on cost yet. I'm just bankrolling this project because I want the very best possible shorty header for my E55, and they're not currently available in the marketplace.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
kompressed55 said:
Just recently discovered this Board, so I missed this whole header thread thing, which is funny since I am currently working with fabrication shop for a set of equal length, bolt-in to the stock exhaust shorty headers. I expect to have a prototype for test fitment within the next couple of weeks. The shop is using a little bit more high tech approach that will involve some CAD CAM work to finalize the initial design. Yep, they've done some header work with some big time race teams and know their stuff. Can't wait to see the initial prototype. Being the guinea pig for our own design means I'll probably get to R&R my car's exhaust two or three times.

We've already identified the pitiful design of the factory manifolds. The exhaust port inputs on the stock manifolds are only 1.375 inches ID, while the engine port ODs are about 1.73". Outlet size is about 1.675 ID on the manifold. Overall the stock manifold system is very compact but is severely constricting the flow. If we can design them to fit, we will use equal length 1.75" primaries in order to match the engine ports. Should really allow the engine to breathe.

We plan to use 321 stainless and for now, these will be a one off set unless we're totally satisfied with the final design, fitment and HP gain parameters. Not trying to undermine or steal anyone's thunder, but I think we're all pretty much in agreement that a better design than either the RennTech (for sure) and the Evo's is possible (and desireable). If we meet our design goals, I'm sure the fabricator will be willing to produce at batch. I have no idea on cost yet. I'm just bankrolling this project because I want the very best possible shorty header for my E55, and they're not currently available in the marketplace.
How did you come about this forum?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jrocket said:
Jose called today, and I believe the flanges are done, and wanted to know if I had the gasket for the head and pipes. I forgot to ask him for an updated timetable. I left a message for him, so hopefully I'll have a better answer tomorrow

·
Registered
930 Posts
chukiechz said:
Jrocket said:
Jose called today, and I believe the flanges are done, and wanted to know if I had the gasket for the head and pipes. I forgot to ask him for an updated timetable. I left a message for him, so hopefully I'll have a better answer tomorrow
Thanks!

·
Registered
930 Posts
JmanE55 said:
kompressed55 said:

Atta boy Jman...check his credentials! :D

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Jrocket said:
JmanE55 said:
kompressed55 said:

Atta boy Jman...check his credentials! :D
While you frisk him..... :rofl:

·
Registered
31 Posts
JmanE55 said:
[How did you come about this forum?
I saw a picture of someone's car that had the website address shown on the windshield, and I checked it out.

Am I not supposed to be here? Let me know if this is some private board or something.

Found out I wasn't supposed to release the CADCAM rendering yet, so I had to remove it. I'll update later when we've moved from the CADCAM phase to an actual prototype.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
kompressed55 said:
JmanE55 said:
Am I not supposed to be here?

FWIW, I've attached a picture of one of the E55 headers we're developing. It will be equal length primaries, and will bolt up to the factory exhaust.

Let me know if this is some private board or something. There's always MBWorld I guess.
No, no... Dont get me wrong. This isnt a private board. Everyone is welcome here. Im just curious. :D

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
kompressed55 said:

FWIW, I've attached a picture of one of the E55 headers we're developing. It will be equal length primaries, and will bolt up to the factory exhaust.

Let me know if this is some private board or something. There's always MBWorld I guess.
You're welcome here as with anyone else. That's not what he meant. We're just curious because most of the "advertising" has just been word of mouth. It's just interesting to hear how some of our members found out about us. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
kompressed55 said:
JmanE55 said:

welcome aboard kompressed55... awesome to have you hear about the boards and it looks to me you have alot to bring to our little growing community here! love the cad images of the short headers.

what kind of numbers should one expect with this type of upgrade?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thats a great design.Also welcome aboard!

1.How far along are these in development?
2.What radius's will you be using,they seem to be very tight u-bends in the cad drawing?
3.Will you have enough room in there for those to fit?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts