Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into getting a C55 AMG in the near future. Is there anything i should know about these cars, Recalls, common problems ETC. I dont wanna get myself inot something i dont know much about so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,101 Posts
The C55 is pretty solid in terms of reliability. The powertrain has been around for a while so not much to really worry about. There are some quirks with accessories going haywire but that's typical of the C-Class. Most C55 owners I know do not have much downtime.

The most severe issue was an airbag connector recall on my car. If you check the thread regarding issues you'll see what my issues were.

There are now two techs on this forum so hopefully they'll chime in as well since they see C55's on a regular basis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
c55's are great. the 113 motors have been around for awhile so it's been tried and true. also it still comes with the 722.6 6speed trans :thumbup: definitely ALOT less bugs compared to the new 7 speeds. as far as campaigns, bulletins, etc... it has just about the same as any other car benz makes. nothing major to lose sleep over. definitely a good buy for an amg!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. im looking to get into one as soon as my 330Ci sells! I posted it for sale on here in the classifieds so feel free to take a look and comments/ criticizms are welcome! Ling i dont know if you remember me or not but i was at Bj's with u guys on saturday and your car was what sold me on getting a C55 haha. I was the youngin at the end of the table lol. Any specific model years to stay away from?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,101 Posts
Arya, I had a feeling it was you under that SN. I have had a number of people ask me what your SN was on the forum and I guessed correctly. :D

I think both years (05-06) are similar. I think one feature the 05 doesn't have is MP3 playback but if you have something else such as an iPOD it probably won't matter anyway.

Your car looks good. Only suggestion is that you might want to post on e46fanatics and on Autotrader.com if you haven't done so already. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SDSilverM3 said:
Arya, I had a feeling it was you under that SN. I have had a number of people ask me what your SN was on the forum and I guessed correctly. :D

I think both years (05-06) are similar. I think one feature the 05 doesn't have is MP3 playback but if you have something else such as an iPOD it probably won't matter anyway.

Your car looks good. Only suggestion is that you might want to post on e46fanatics and on Autotrader.com if you haven't done so already. ;)
already posted on E46fanatics! :D

i think im gonna call Auotrader next week to have them come out and take pics and what not. Im really excited to get into a C55 or SLK55 Depending on how much my dad is willing to spot me. As of right now the C55 is the most probable option but im excited regardless. Powerwise, what mods are available for the C55 Besides Forced induction because i doubt ill be able to afford that!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,775 Posts
newton said:
Roupin said:
C55 kicks ass! My only issue with one would be how similar it looks to the very common C230 :dunno:
Every AMG looks like their non-AMG counterpart. :dunno:
Not the E Class. For 2007 the lesser E's are very different from the E63.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roupin said:
C55 kicks ass! My only issue with one would be how similar it looks to the very common C230 :dunno:
The E55 is the same way wiht the E500 AMG package as well.

sleeper status....they'll never know what hit em ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,101 Posts
hi its me arya said:
already posted on E46fanatics! :D

i think im gonna call Auotrader next week to have them come out and take pics and what not. Im really excited to get into a C55 or SLK55 Depending on how much my dad is willing to spot me. As of right now the C55 is the most probable option but im excited regardless. Powerwise, what mods are available for the C55 Besides Forced induction because i doubt ill be able to afford that!
Honestly, I think the only thing worth doing on the C55 IS the forced induction. Hate to say it but everything else is so much money for so little power.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,101 Posts
Roupin said:
C55 kicks ass! My only issue with one would be how similar it looks to the very common C230 :dunno:
I get a lot of "Your car looks different than a C230 but I cant figure out what it is".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SDSilverM3 said:
hi its me arya said:
already posted on E46fanatics! :D

i think im gonna call Auotrader next week to have them come out and take pics and what not. Im really excited to get into a C55 or SLK55 Depending on how much my dad is willing to spot me. As of right now the C55 is the most probable option but im excited regardless. Powerwise, what mods are available for the C55 Besides Forced induction because i doubt ill be able to afford that!
Honestly, I think the only thing worth doing on the C55 IS the forced induction. Hate to say it but everything else is so much money for so little power.
is there anyway to put the OEM 55K blower on the motor? theres one for sale on ebay. I might look into that if its possible
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,101 Posts
I don't know for sure but there are some other issues involved if I remember correctly. The details of why it won't work aren't exactly fresh in my memory right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what are the most common performance mods available on the C55 aside from mufflers and S/C? i cant seem to find much
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,101 Posts
ECU upgrade, headers, CF airbox, LSD, and the other mentioned stuff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,775 Posts
One of the main issues with bolting on the blower from the 55k cars is the high compression on the C55. The proper way of doing it will be dropping the compression ratio by swapping the pistons. Then there's the issue of the crank and rods (I think the 55k engines gets forged internals).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,466 Posts
exit2Ek said:
c55's are great. the 113 motors have been around for awhile so it's been tried and true. also it still comes with the 722.6 6speed trans :thumbup: definitely ALOT less bugs compared to the new 7 speeds. as far as campaigns, bulletins, etc... it has just about the same as any other car benz makes. nothing major to lose sleep over. definitely a good buy for an amg!
Should I make a switch from W211 then since mine has been sitting in the garage for quite sometimes? :hmm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,695 Posts
JmanE55 said:
exit2Ek said:
c55's are great. the 113 motors have been around for awhile so it's been tried and true. also it still comes with the 722.6 6speed trans :thumbup: definitely ALOT less bugs compared to the new 7 speeds. as far as campaigns, bulletins, etc... it has just about the same as any other car benz makes. nothing major to lose sleep over. definitely a good buy for an amg!
Should I make a switch from W211 then since mine has been sitting in the garage for quite sometimes? :hmm:
You could give it to me. :dunno:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top