Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, a ND filter, but the choices are numerous out there. I'm only looking to spend $20-$40. Any recommendations?

Also, what are the benefits of a circular polarizer? I see the good Hoyas and B+Ws go for $120. Do they justify that price?

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
newton said:
Specifically, a ND filter, but the choices are numerous out there. I'm only looking to spend $20-$40. Any recommendations?

Also, what are the benefits of a circular polarizer? I see the good Hoyas and B+Ws go for $120. Do they justify that price?
The cheaper ND filters are more prone to flaring and other annoyances especially when the sunlight shines directly into it. I'm sure you'll be in the sun quite often with the ND otherwise why would you want a ND in the first place right? :) Just get something middle of the road from a reputable manufacturer like Tiffen, Hoya, or BW.

The CPL cuts down reflections/glare on water, cars, and glass. Similar to polarizing sunglasses that let you see through a lake/pond while fishing. It also enhances the color green and darkens the sky for a deep blue tone. Again, get a middle of the road or better. Cheaper CPL's will vignette or cause other annoyances. Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to have a good eye for white balance because the CPL makes everything look warmer so you will need to compensate in RAW conversion.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only reason I don't want to spend too much is that I'm looking at a 58mm filter, which will fit my kit lens and my 28-105, but incompatible with many other lenses that I may purchase.

I'm also hearing that I can go big and and downsize using adapters?

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
newton said:
Only reason I don't want to spend too much is that I'm looking at a 58mm filter, which will fit my kit lens and my 28-105, but incompatible with many other lenses that I may purchase.

I'm also hearing that I can go big and and downsize using adapters?
That's correct. My recommendation if you're heading down the Canon L road is to buy the 82mm (if you're considering the 16-35mm F2.8L II) or 77mm sized filters and step down with the adapter to 58mm for now. It will also cut down on the vignette problem since the edges of the filter are nowhere in sight.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No L lens for me, not in the near future at least.

The next two lenses I look at buying are the 50mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 10-20mm.

I think I may pickup a cheaper ND and a polarizer and just play with them.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Cool.

I would suggest the Canon 10-22mm over the Sigma even though it costs a little more. I had Eric's Sigma 10-20 on long term loan and found some issues things with it. CA, PF, and lots of corner softness to name a few. If you don't care about that type of stuff then it is definitely worth the money. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if I can justify the extra $200. Many people love their 10-20s.

Thanks for the help. :)

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
newton said:
I'm not sure if I can justify the extra $200. Many people love their 10-20s.

Thanks for the help. :)
I know. Just thought I'd throw it out there so there are no surprises. For how much it cost it does its job. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts