Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
dokotela said:
hi guys.

would a manual transmission off a w201 2.3 8v work with a m103 engine?

thanks for the help guys
Yes it will.

As soon as my clutch kit comes in, I'm going to be doing a 5 speed swap (717.411 from an 8v 2.3) into my 92 M104 coupe. The whole purpose for me NOT getting a getrag from a 16v was for the overdrive feature of the 717.411. It'll handle whatever my car has to dish out.

justinwrock said:
Is the 2.3 an M102?
Yes it is, but it doesn't matter because the M102, M103, M104 and M111 have the same bellhousings.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
ReMoLeXi said:
... and if someone is looking for a 717.4XX I have one off a 99' SLK230 w/60k miles on it sitting in my garage until I find a buyer!
what are the XX numbers? reason i ask is because there are small differences in transmissions themselves. they're on the side of the trans on a flat plate like surface.
the only real differences to know between all these transmissions is if they're short or long input shaft.
long input = single mass flywheel
short = dual mass
that late slk trans will need a dual mass flywheel on a 300e.

you're going to also have to watch out for the clutch. the 8v uses a 8.5" disc/pressure plate while the 190 16v and 2.6 (260E/300E) use a 9" disc. i'll be taking a lot of pics of when im doing to swap. still waiting on my clutch to come in.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
dokotela said:
so it will work.
thanks a lot.
the engine is coming off an auto donor car.
what will i need to do to mate it to my manual transmission?
depends which way the swap is going.

if the m103 is going into a 190e body w/ a 5 speed already in it all you'll need is a new clutch and flywheel and just pop that bad boy in. the 8v uses 8.5" clutch/pressure plate while the m103 uses a 9" clutch/pressure plate. however, you'll find the m103 single mass flywheel damn hard to find. you can't use the 8v or 16v flywheels because the reference marks (tab things) are different. the 8v only has 2 while the m103 has 3. these marks are for the crank sensor.

just as an aside, you could get a clutch kit for a 16v since it uses a 9" clutch disc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmm....interesting
so its not just plug and play.
what size is the m111 flywheel and clutch kit? is the bolt pattern the same?
those will be simpler to come by, but will it work?

thats exactly how i plan the swap to go, m103 out of a w124 into a w201 with 5spd manual transmission.
the other option i have is a m111 with a 6spd transmission into the w201. that option is available, completely.
but dare i say, it will be nice to build a l6 12valve merc to anihilate the l6 12valve turbo beemers....i dont have anything against bmw's, just some of the cocky drivers.

the cars out of paint and busy with assembling it. so i need to choose the route a.s.a.p.

thanks for the invaluable info

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
you can't use the m111 flywheel. you'd have to buy a later 300E (91-92) or early 300SL (90-92) dual mass flywheel and clutch kit to make the m111 transmission work.
in my opinion. stick with the single mass flywheel for the m103. it'll take a beating. the dual mass flywheels are for comfort driving. if you want to race around a bit or do autocross' and stuff like that, you'd regret getting a dual mass flywheel. i went to the ends of the earth to get my flywheel because i didn't want a dual mass. i got my flywheel 10k miles new from Poland. i think there's a small number of flywheels available from the dealership though.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
dokotela said:
what about a flywheel off a w124 2.6?
will that bolt straight up?
yup. the 190e 2.6 and 260E are the same m103.
just make sure to get the new flywheel resurfaced. if you don't you'll burn up a brand new clutch disc. also, make sure to get new flywheel bolts - they're stretch bolts. i don't know what the specs are as to where you can reuse them.
just for future reference:

M104 Dual Mass Flywheel: 104 030 12 05 <-- use with the later model transmissions after 1990 or so - short input shaft
M103 Single Mass Flywheel: 103 032 02 05 <-- use with trans before 1990 - long input shaft

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
dokotela said:
thanks bro.

the hunt begins. car is out of paint........adding final touches so i need this engine swap to be ready a.s.a.p
any more ideas or guidelines???
hmm, don't screw up? lol
it's a pretty straightforward swap. can't mess up in too many places.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I know it's an old post, but am having a problem, I've got a 300se automatic, M103 engine and converted it to a manual transmission with a w124 gearbox but the car doesn't have power and it over revs.

What could be the problem? Please help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts