Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen.

I've been talking with Vadim about removing resonators and he's saying I could lose torque (a lot of it to) ...and that it might make my SL sound like a freaking tractor.

I don't get how I can lose torque through a resonator removal, resonators are basically 2ndary mufflers :dunno:

About the sound, will it really be that bad? Most of you said straight up, kill the resonators, in my last thread.

Planning on going this weekend to AAA up in LA to go through with it...bit mixed now.

Discuss please :help:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Murtaza said:
Gentlemen.

I've been talking with Vadim about removing resonators and he's saying I could lose torque (a lot of it to) ...and that it might make my SL sound like a freaking tractor.

I don't get how I can lose torque through a resonator removal, resonators are basically 2ndary mufflers :dunno:

About the sound, will it really be that bad? Most of you said straight up, kill the resonators, in my last thread.

Planning on going this weekend to AAA up in LA to go through with it...bit mixed now.

I'm sorry. I wish I could help you. But, I have heard both from all kinds of people. None really give a good yes or no to it. The only thing that I could deduct from all that info is, that most of the cars that lose torque are non-kompressed smaller engines. SOoo... Maybe if that's right(someone correct me if i'm wrong), then it might work for you since your engine is gimungous and sc'd(i'm assuming).

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
i just spoke from past experience

both cars that im basing my conclusion on had aftermarket mufflers/piping

i have never driven/seen/heard a stock car w/ no resonators thus im not qualified to comment on it.

Ed's old E320 w/ aftermarket mufflers and no resonators sounded like shit

I drove a cl500 w/ no resonators and aftermarket mufflers and it had no mid-range, after the resonators were put back in there was a healthy improvement, no joke.

sorry i cant tell you much more, look at the bright side, you can always put em back :dunno:

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Lensolo said:
Murtaza said:
Gentlemen.

I'm sorry. I wish I could help you. But, I have heard both from all kinds of people. None really give a good yes or no to it. The only thing that I could deduct from all that info is, that most of the cars that lose torque are non-kompressed smaller engines. SOoo... Maybe if that's right(someone correct me if i'm wrong), then it might work for you since your engine is gimungous and sc'd(i'm assuming).
btw,
Murtaza drives a 500

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
I know a guy who pulled the resonators off of a 95 E320 and it supposedly sounded insane, but on the other hand I also heard from Ed that his 211 E320 sounded like shit, so I'm really not sure.

My vote goes to dump the 2ndary cats and get some mufflers instead.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AMG_55 said:
sorry i cant tell you much more, look at the bright side, you can always put em back :dunno:
Yeah, not to pricey so I think i'll go for it, if it's no good i'll put them back and go for the 2ndary cats.

Doing some more reading on the subject, mixed comments everywhere :jack:

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I say just have PePe make the exhaust come out the side, like the Gwagen :dunno:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I honestly see no lose in removing the rsonators and actually think I get a reponse increase. Ia m more leary of removing the secondary cats.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
jangy said:
I honestly see no lose in removing the rsonators and actually think I get a reponse increase. Ia m more leary of removing the secondary cats.
+1

And if you want louder (sounds like you do), attack the mufflers, not the resonator.

I wonder how a pair of oem SL55 mufflers would sound on your car?

·
Registered
98 Posts
a bit of custom tuning can go a long way in having a car without a resonator perform correctly/better. I've experienced firsthand that some aftermarket intake modifications actually decrease horsepower (as much as 9hp) to the wheel while on the dyno - only to make it up in tuning, and getting even bigger gains without it connected.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I dunno if the borla race mufflers helped out but I had my resonators cut out and had the borla put in...and I got numbers that are average compared to the ones on the board...

I had it done at AAA too...real good guys over there...

ANYWAYS...I went to a dyno day a while back with a couple of Z friends and there seemed to be nearly no hp loss...actually I can't verify that because I never had a baseline done, but I remember the hp and it was @ 416 to the wheels...let me get home and check the torque levels...If I remember correctly though, I think it was in the norm also...

Sorry but I just read that you are more concerned about torque then hp...LOL Maybe it's because there is so much torque in this car anyways...it feels the same...LOL

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I don't think you will see gains or losses from cutting out the resonators or mufflers on the AMGs. All the restriction is in the intake side and then the headers and cats. Back of that, all you do is mess with sound. I've tried everything from glass packs to straight pipes and it was nothing but sound. Once you have a system that uses enough air, then yes cutting out the secondary cats is needed but you will be at a 80mm TB, larger intake, more boost, etc first.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Done some more reading and it appears the ECU needs some time to adjust to the loss of backpressure. This applies for NA engines ofc, not FI.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
That some time will just be about 15 miles. My car was revving a bit higher for a little while and even occasionally bumping the rev limiter until it adjusted itself. It was back to 100% normal after about 10-15 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I removed the sec. cats, res. and did a custom exhaust. It increase power for me! It sounds pretty good as well. I have known many people to remove the res. in their cars, and I have never heard anyone complain about loosing a huge amount of power? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts