Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do this? I hate the OEM piping. I am scared to pop out the primary cats, and I want to keep the OEM mufflers, but I'd like to get stainless pipes all the way in between. Does anyone know of a company that can do this? Is it something that I can get done locally, or is it something I need to buy from a specific vendor?

·
Registered
0 Posts
The way we have done it before was to buy stainless steel piping in sections and have a muffler shop piece it together. This is my plan so far. Make sure you get Mandrel bends, of course.

But, I thought AMG exhausts were already stainless steel?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are simply ugly and I hate the joint left behind from when I had the resonators removed.

My only concern is getting it all lined up at the end, but i figure a good shop can do it? Should I buy the piping from the shop? Or buy it separate and take it to them?

·
Registered
0 Posts
This is a good question. Since i'm going to be doing the same thing soon, time to start researching. I don't know any good shops here in SD. I only did my stuff in LA many many moons ago.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
Ed Hansen's in Spring Valley did my mandrel 3-piping on my Integra a while back. They did an excellent job. Some shops are hesitant to do mandrel for some reason (besides not having the machine). :dunno:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a shop that i like in escondido. I will call them and see what they say? They did my '05 E55 nicely. Glad to hear you say that it is something you are also considering, so I'm not the only one.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
Since you are getting rid of the stock exhaust, straightpipe the 2ndary cats and see how you like it. I don't understand why you are hesitating :dunno:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
hesitation kills... just do it ;) :rofl:

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Roupin said:
Since you are getting rid of the stock exhaust, straightpipe the 2ndary cats and see how you like it. I don't understand why you are hesitating :dunno:
:thumbup: :dunno:

·
Registered
31 Posts
The stock exhaust system is entirely of stainless steel already. The main advantages of fabricating a custom system would be to achieve weight savings only and increasing the exhaust sound (if that's important to you). There truly is little to no power gains to be had via an exhaust system, other than replacing the restrictive log manifolds with a decent set of headers. Even removing some baffling out of the stock mufflers won't do much for power.

Weight is the enemy of speed, so if you're doing a custom exhaust, focus on keeping it as light weight as possible since the stock exhaust is incredibly high quality and will last longer than all of us, but IS heavy.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roupin said:
Hesitating? Mofo, I've had my car all of a week and I work like a dog!! I just gotta find someone that does MINT work and its on!! Worst case is i need to add backpressure, so I'm not scared to do it.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kompressed55 said:
The stock exhaust system is entirely of stainless steel already. The main advantages of fabricating a custom system would be to achieve weight savings only and increasing the exhaust sound (if that's important to you). There truly is little to no power gains to be had via an exhaust system, other than replacing the restrictive log manifolds with a decent set of headers. Even removing some baffling out of the stock mufflers won't do much for power.

Weight is the enemy of speed, so if you're doing a custom exhaust, focus on keeping it as light weight as possible since the stock exhaust is incredibly high quality and will last longer than all of us, but IS heavy.
It is extremely heavy and I got a half assed job with the resonator removals. i'm not expecting gains, but wanting to make it all look right under there.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
AAA does a good job with the exhaust, but they are far from you. If it's just straightpiping something, they just throw 2 pipes in there and call it a day, but they also do some amazing work when they spend time on it.

Most important thing for me though, was that I get absolutely no exhaust leaks. I've tried 4 muffler shops before with various cars, and some of them end up with a perpetual weep hole at one of the welds that they just can't seem to weld properly.

The E has been good so far :dunno:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Alright guys, I might have something for us. My buddy is going to do a "prototype" on my car starting Monday. I'll keep you guys posted. As far as his work, he's an AMAZING welder. His shop is called Unique Farications here in south Orange County. He does all the work for the head editors of HCI magazine and Modified magazine.

-Donnie

·
Registered
101 Posts
jangy said:
Hook my ass up, donnie!!
HAHA! Sorry bro been having some issues with the car. Took it to get serviced (service B), said everything was perfect and now the check engine light is on. Even better when trying to start the car now, it seems to get "stuck" turning over and won't completely start sometimes. Thought it was the battery at 1st but then I thought about and the car turns over just fine without lights dimming or anything. Hopefully it's just something with the ignition. Now the kicker, my factory warranty just ran out and I can't find a third party that will warranty it... :( But I'll get around to the piping here shortly. Most likely on Friday. I was thinking, for myself, to get stainless steel piping from the res. all the way to the tips with nothing in the middle but straight pipes. Let me know what exaclty what you had in mind so I can tell him when designing...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts