Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple months ago as I hit 4k miles my brakes started squeeling. I took it in, they replaced the brake pads (without asking me) and it's been gone...until now. The sound returned after less than 2 months :wall:

It's a squeel that happens at around 0-30mph, very annoying. I haven't been driving it that hard, I don't get how my pads can be worn out after less than 2 months :dunno: Any ideas?

I'm also going to ask them to use Star Diag to lower it 1.5inches (i've heard this is the max). Anybody have experience with this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,775 Posts
Does the brake squeal happen at just normal braking, or does it stay on all the time while driving?

Also, do you drive with ESP on or off?

I just had a similar problem with my car (only 6 weeks old) and I'm trying to figure it out too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roupin said:
Does the brake squeal happen at just normal braking, or does it stay on all the time while driving?

Also, do you drive with ESP on or off?

I just had a similar problem with my car (only 6 weeks old) and I'm trying to figure it out too.
It just squeels while normally braking, not all the time. I drive with ESP off most of the time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,775 Posts
Try driving with ESP on. On my car, the squealing went away. For some reason with ESP off for a long distance and hard driving, the rear right brake is making loads of noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roupin said:
Try driving with ESP on. On my car, the squealing went away. For some reason with ESP off for a long distance and hard driving, the rear right brake is making loads of noise.
Usually drive with ESP ON, on the way to work in the morning...still groggy.

Still squeels.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,101 Posts
Try going to an empty road and slam on the brakes at about 30-40mph. See if that makes it go away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SDSilverM3 said:
Try going to an empty road and slam on the brakes at about 30-40mph. See if that makes it go away.
Leaving in 15min for the dealership, not sure i'll get a chance to try that on the way there...

Anyone have experience with Star Diag lowering?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
brake squeel is pretty normal. the dealer actually hooked you up when they replaced the pads. it probably wasn't even worn if they replaced it under warranty. doe what SDSilverM3 says, 30-0mph runs while slamming on the brakes should bed the brake pads. as far as lowering via star, around 1-1.5inch lower is about right. if they don't do it for you pm jangy, i believe he has a hook up that will do it for you for a price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
exit2Ek said:
brake squeel is pretty normal. the dealer actually hooked you up when they replaced the pads. it probably wasn't even worn if they replaced it under warranty. doe what SDSilverM3 says, 30-0mph runs while slamming on the brakes should bed the brake pads. as far as lowering via star, around 1-1.5inch lower is about right. if they don't do it for you pm jangy, i believe he has a hook up that will do it for you for a price.
Just got a call from my SA. He say it's a no go for the Star Diag lowering :cry1: He also said the shop foreman flipped it when he heard about it and that he got some shit for making a ticket about it.

:hammer:

I know it's possible, any ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,101 Posts
Tell the foreman to get with the times. Talk to Jangy about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roupin said:
Get it so you can finally cut the resonators off something!!!
Haha. I might being going up to AAA to get the cats put back in a month or so. We should meet up again, Chris might be coming to.

(I can't return a leased vehicle without the cats right?)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top