Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a nail in my 295 rear. It still had 80% tread on it, so do I patch it or dump it and get a new one?
I drive my baby hard and a blast to 150mph isn't too uncommon.
Anyone know if patches hold pretty well or not?

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
ive always used plugs, hit 150+ numerous times, and you know how i drive, no problems, just make sure its not too close to the sidewall

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Hmm... That's kinda dangerous. :hmm:

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
It depends. Where is the nail? Middle or near the sidewalls?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
SDSilverM3 said:
It depends. Where is the nail? Middle or near the sidewalls?
+2

If it's near the sidewall..beware...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its definitely in the tread. If they are willing to patch it, should I? I'm too scared of plugs. I've had one blow out and I spin the rear pretty good.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
They have a combination patch and plug, I remember seeing it on Motor Trends TV garage tips.

I looks like a patch on the inside but it has a plug that fills the hole. This prevents moisture from getting under the patch and causing the belts to rust.

Let me do some research tonight and I'll post what I found.

Sorry to hear about the nail, bummer.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
I've *mostly* have had good luck with patches. I had a few tires patched, and one particular tire's patch started coming off after a 150mph run. Then again, I was running low pressure in the tire (24psi for drag) and for an extended period. Afterwards I noticed it bubbling out.

Be careful and keep an eye on the tire anyway.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
03c4s said:
They have a combination patch and plug, I remember seeing it on Motor Trends TV garage tips.

I looks like a patch on the inside but it has a plug that fills the hole. This prevents moisture from getting under the patch and causing the belts to rust.

Let me do some research tonight and I'll post what I found.

Sorry to hear about the nail, bummer.
They WorK :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
blue_monster said:
I would just plug it....no problem
I Would NEVER Plug a High Performance tire Again...After a Tire spit a plug out at a High rate of speed....

The Plug will NOT Work with a High Performance tire as the Temp on the Tire Vs the Plug are different and guess which one WILL FAIL

The Tire MUST be removed to install the New Style Patch..that fills the hole where the object entered the tire

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been too lazy, so i drove the Jeep today. I need to take it in. Damn construction crew!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts