Mercedes-Benz Forums - My MB Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious? i drove palomar once now i'm hooked. unfortunately, my underpowered car crawls up the mount in 2nd gear. sometimes 1st...depending on my exit speeds coming out of the turns.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
2nd and 3rd

go to the vid thread in the garage forum.
click on one of MY (first 11 i think)youtube vids and click on more from this user, youll see 5 palomar vids "e55 & 997s having fun in the canyons".

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
AMG_55 said:
2nd and 3rd

click on one of MY (first 11 i think)youtube vids and click on more from this user, youll see 5 palomar vids "e55 & 997s having fun in the canyons".
+1 I was way behind!! in my E63

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I'm in second most of the way up. There are a few tight spots where I go to 1 and a few spots where it opens enough for 3rd, but mainly in second.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
brakes? I use the jangy method or at least I try when I'm wearing my depends, let stability control stop you from going over the cliff!!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I don't get as bad of brake fade as I have in past cars, but I get the brake overheated warning EVERYTIME. I'm extra hard on my brakes, though so that may matter. I make the straights as long as possible.

Hell yeah, i use ESP to keep me off the cliff.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
AMG_55 said:
2nd and 3rd

I want a rematch. that was the WORST setup I've had in quite a while. Now, if I could just get my car running....

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
jangy said:
I don't get as bad of brake fade as I have in past cars, but I get the brake overheated warning EVERYTIME. I'm extra hard on my brakes, though so that may matter. I make the straights as long as possible.

Hell yeah, i use ESP to keep me off the cliff.
To keep you off the cliff? Or do you mean to keep you dancing on the edge :thumbup:

If it's all twisties without long straights, I'll run it too just for fun. My bitch has no balls on the straights though.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
It is definitely switchbacks. The straights are just long enough to get up to about 80-90mph (on full blast), so you have to hit the brakes extra hot, too.

I use the ESP by keeping the car floored and just having the throttle get turned back on as I gain traction (coming out of the turn). As long as the car pushes, I don't have power, so it is to my advantage to learn to drive the car without sliding around.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I've done both. MANY MANY times. It all has to do with what your technique is that day. With it on, I have to keep in mind that it is there and to throw the car just right. With it off, I have to keep the push under control or I'll go too hot into a turn.
I'm definitely faster with it off, since I can recover from mis-haps better than by shutting everything down. But, I can get pretty fast with it on, too.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I'll bet you will. Yes, I do have plans, but have had a hard time getting them sourced. The E55 ones are real beefy anyway, so I'm not sure what an extra 5mm will do. When I do it you can have mine. Remind me.

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
jangy said:
I'll bet you will. Yes, I do have plans, but have had a hard time getting them sourced. The E55 ones are real beefy anyway, so I'm not sure what an extra 5mm will do. When I do it you can have mine. Remind me.
Will send PM. Every day. :rofl:

Just keedeeng :thumbup:

I wonder how much of a difference H&R and sways will make on my car. Should be fun finding out. :drive:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
The labor is most of the money. You gotta drop the rear sub to get it in. Also, make sure you beef up all the bushings while you are down there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts